Friday, August 28, 2009

Thistels and burs - ENG & FIN

This is as good enough lesson in the Finnish language as any:
Living in Florida, my firstborn was learning more and more English. It is a natural process of course, especially with a small child, to learn the local language. Still I couldn´t help feeling kind of proud of him as he one day pointed at my coat hanging in the open closet, and said: Takki, I see!
Well, at this point you have to know that takki is Finnish for coat. But I soon realized that he wasn´t saying anything of the kind. You see, the coat was full of burs. I must have stood too near the thistles at the bus stop. So my coat was full of burs and, you guessed right: burs, or more exactly the plural indefinite form of burs, is takiaisia in Finnish! He of course would pronounce it in a childlike way with double k and the Helsinki way of saying one long - ii in the end instead of what would take a longer time to pronounce, -ia! Got it?

PS. Click at the map to get a better look at the wonderful state of Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment